COME JOIN THE TEAM! Bring your talent, enthusiasm, and unique perspective to improving ultimate and our non-profit!
Altitude Youth Ultimate is looking for a Community Organizer to help us build relationships in the communities where we work and play, as well as share the joy of ultimate with racially diverse and historically marginalized communities throughout the Front Range, specifically in NE Denver in the immediate term, (and potentially more communities as we grow the program).
This position would be part-time to start, but could develop into a full time role in the future.
To some extent, we are interested in someone who will work with us to develop the goals and vision for this role -- we haven’t specifically had a Community Organizer position before, and we would encourage the person in this role to help flesh out the full vision for this role. That said, in our current vision the person in this role would be responsible for:
- Outreach/recruitment activities (such as tabelings, attending community events to share information, reaching out/following up/taking meetings with community leaders, parents, etc)*
- Organizing and running* Learn to Play clinics and leagues in the target communities
- Creating situations-specific, non-traditional playing/learning opportunities (intergenerational, short field, small-sided games, mixed-age/gender, etc.)
- Providing other opportunities to learn about ultimate
- Building long term partnerships with community members, including parents, local business, non-profit organizations, and other community leaders and informal networks
- Develop coaches and organizers in the communities we are working with
- Finding creative outreach & partnership opportunities in target communities
We do not have a permanent office space, you would be working on your personal computer/phone equipment in your own workspace. Because this is a somewhat event-based role, hours can be irregular and vary week-to-week, though you will have quite a bit of flexibility and ability to choose your own hours and work schedule outside of scheduled events. We expect the position to average around 25 hours a week, though there is potential for the position to develop in a full-time job in the future.
*AYU has an Operations Management team who will be providing some logistical support for the person in this role, i.e., helping with making sure the right paperwork and insurance is covered for events, that operations and logistical support for event planning will be provided, etc.
AYU has been working towards more equity and diversity in the community of youth we are serving. You can learn more about our efforts here. One of the challenges we have encountered is that we -- our current board, coaches, and others that make up the ‘leadership’ in the community -- don’t have good ways to reach the communities we are trying to include, nor do we want to simply make it a one-sided effort.
We want to invest in true collaborative, long-term relationships in historically-marginalized communities, and to do that we need to invest in staff that can focus on this effort.
We recognize that the communities we want to collaborate with sometimes have histories where “outsiders” have come in with their own visions of ‘helping’, made promises they then haven’t kept, and left broken promises and relationships in their wake. Thus, it is necessary for this person to have an awareness of their privilege, power, identity, and biases, or insight into how their own background from a historically marginalized community has affected their relationship with the Ultimate community. It is important for this person to be able to develop -- or already have -- strong relationships with people different from themselves and have an ability to build trust in communities where trust may have been broken in the past.
Other preferred* qualifications include:
- Relationship and trust-building skills
- 2-5 years experience serving and collaborating with marginalized communities
- Strong existing network of community relationships and contacts in NE Denver
- Ability to listen and understand diverse perspectives
- Eagerness to learn
- Ability to follow through
- Quick response time
- Ability to take ownership of the project and take on ideas
- Detail-oriented and ability to track multiple tasks and projects
- Fluency with social media
- Self-directed and able to work with minimal oversight and supervision
- Able and willing to execute a vision to build a program where none currently exists
- Able and willing to build a program that may take several years to reach full potential
- Ability to take notes and create templates to build knowledge/experience base that we can share with broader Ultimate community locally and nationally
- Willingness to seek out and support leaders in the community who can be integral partners for long-term program success
- Ability to speak Spanish is a definite plus!
Not being an experienced Ultimate frisbee player or coach is not disqualifying for this role -- we are not looking for someone who themselves will be coaching or need to have a ton of in-depth knowledge of the technical ins-and-outs of Ultimate frisbee.
We are looking for someone who has and a passion for the joy of the game, understands the ethic of Spirit of the Game, and is embedded in the Ultimate community, but mostly we are looking for someone who will be a skilled ambassador and relationship-builder. (*So in this context “running” a league or clinic does not mean this person would necessarily themselves have to be the individual coaching at the clinics.)
*Not having some item on the list of qualifications above isn’t disqualifying -- please don’t let not having something on this list prevent you from applying if you feel like the outlines of this job speak strongly to something you want to get involved in! We are interested in someone who is going to work well independently and who could grow into this position, and may take a chance on the right person even if you don’t check every item on this list!
Stipend starting at $2500 month. Option to increase depending on deliverables and performance based on performance at the 6-month mark. Regular scheduled reviews that result in work plan adjustments will result in corresponding pay scale adjustments. Bonuses also available for exceptional work performance.
Reimbursements for outlay of personal equipment (e.g., phone/computer/car mileage) negotiable.
There is also a budget for this effort:
- Up to $3,000 EDI grant from USAU to be used for field/venue rental, equipment, snacks, other expenses as needed
- Comped coaching certification from USAU
- LTP kits from USAU
- Potentially additional funds could be applied for from AYU and other partner organizations
We recognize the importance of this role and thus have created a network of support for the person leading the Community Organizing work including internal staff and board support and supervision.
If Interested, please email [email protected] with a resume and a cover letter that tells us why you are interested and your qualifications for this role. Please put the JOB TITLE and your LAST NAME in the subject line.
AYU is currently hiring an Operations Manager. In order to continue our growth in events and operations management as we transition out of the COVID era, plus give us resources for developing and growing additional new revenue streams and support strategic plan initiatives, AYU is looking to hire a Manager of Operations. If you’ve ever thought you loved Ultimate so much and youth Ultimate so much that you’d like to have a full-time job working on Ultimate tournaments, camps, clinics, and leagues, then please consider applying for our open position.
Submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. The deadline for applications is Oct. 15, 2021.
- Full-time, starting as soon as possible
- Reports to Director of Operations
- Salary range: $28-35k - competitive with other non-profits and commensurate with experience
- Variable annual bonus
- Major traditional operations roles, working with and assisting Director of Operations
- Multiple outdoor EVENTS, eg tournaments, camps, clinics, and leagues
- Pre-event: all events require planning, project management, facilities/field procurement, vendor procurement, marketing/promotion, outbound and response communication with participants and parents of youth participants, and managing waivers and online registrations both via AYU's website and the USA Ultimate website
- During-event: all events require setup and tear down of fields and central command space (tents, tables, sales inventory, supplies, computers)
- During-event: all events require on-site management of facilities, vendors, volunteers, and participants
- Post-event: all events require follow-up accounting, reporting, and surveying of participants
- Seasonality: Over a calendar year, it averages out to a 40-hour per week job, but summers are the busiest season with multiple large tournaments and multiple youth camps, resulting in some 60-hour workweeks.
- Decision-making: the Director and Manager collaborate on most events, but the Manager will sometimes have sole oversight responsibility for some events
- Multiple outdoor EVENTS, eg tournaments, camps, clinics, and leagues
Additional roles, designing and building new operations:
- EDI (Equity/Diversity/Inclusion) initiatives:
- Organizing intro-to-the-sport clinics and other efforts to grow awareness and participation in under-served populations
- Providing administrative, marketing, and logistics support to a community development manager
- Growing penetration into middle schools and elementary schools, working with school administrators and teachers, organizing PE takeovers and after school programs etc.
- Adult leagues: organizing new league play for adults, in geographic areas not fully served by existing league organizers in the Front Range
- EDI (Equity/Diversity/Inclusion) initiatives:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with others under event deadline pressures
- Good, pragmatic decision-making capabilities, responding to event organizing problems that arise
- Detail-oriented project management and tracking of event data on participants and operations
- Computer skills: spreadsheets, google docs,word documents, website CMS (content management system)
- Undergraduate college degree required
- 3+ years of prior youth sports coaching required
- Ultimate Frisbee playing and coaching experience highly desirable, but not required
- Spanish language skills desirable, but not required
- Prior non-profit work experience desirable, but not required
- Prior experience as part of the larger community of Ultimate Frisbee players, coaches and organizers in Colorado desirable, but not required
- Prior experience working on EDI initiatives desirable, but not required
Our six-person volunteer Board of Directors will be adding at least one new Board member and are extending an invite to anyone interested in joining the board to submit an application.
Our Board is a great group of people who are productive, high-functioning and well-regarded in the community. We love seeing new players fall in love with our sport and trust you will too.
Are you interested? Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
- One in-person meeting per month (weekday evening for ~three hours)
- Basic facility with Google Docs
- Respond to emails/requests for feedback
- Oversee at least one sub-committee or project
- Commit to at least a three-year term
- No financial/donor expectations
- Participate in long-term planning and occasional Board retreats and training
Commitment to the best interests of youth ultimate, Spirit of the Game, open communication, conflict resolution, and cooperation within our Board and community.
We will first review all applications and then have a formal interview/application process.
We are looking for qualified coaches for upcoming clinics and to help with various youth programs. We will be compensating coaches for their time and all coaches will have a demonstrated commitment to strong character and sportsmanship and will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Must have or will get an active USA Ultimate Membership.
- Must agree to the USA Ultimate Coaching Code of Ethics.
- Completed Background check and SafeSport certification.
- Must agree to Coaching Code of Ethics and Spirit of Coaching.
- Must be available for virtual meetings in the months leading up to the season to discuss logistics and roles/responsibilities with the head coach and AYU Director of Operations.